Aromatherapy Safety Tips
- Always read label cautions and warnings.
- Never ingest essential oils.
- Do not use oils directly on the skin. (Dilute with vegetable oils).
- Keep essential oils away from the eyes and mucous membranes.
- Please keep all essential oils out of reach of children and pets.
- Avoid during pregnancy
- Essential Oils should be stored away from harsh lighting or sun, in a cool dark area away from heat.
- Do not leave uncapped, as they are highly volatile and evaporate easily.
- May be refrigerated to extend shelf life.
Essential Oils are not intended for use in treatment for specific medical conditions. For treatment of health ailments, please seek diagnosis and recommendations from a licensed practitioner. Some Essential Oils are contraindicated during pregnancy. Please seek advice from your health care provider.
The Directory of Essential Oils by Wanda Sellar
The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy by Salvatore Battaglia
Do not take essential oils internally. Avoid contact with eyes.
Always check with specific safety data before using a new oil, especially with regard to toxicity levels, phototoxicity, dermal irritation and sensitization.
Take note of any contra-indications when using particular oils.
During pregnancy, use essentials oils in half the usual stated amount. Take note of those oils that are contra-indicated in pregnancy.
Babies & Children:
Use with care, in accordance with age:
Babies (0-12 months): Use 1 drop of lavender, rose, chamomile diluted in 10ml base oil for massage or bathing
Infants (1-5 years): Use 2-3 drops of safe essential oils (non-toxic and non-irritant to the skin, diluted in 10ml base oil for massage or bathing.
Children (6-12): Use as for adults, but in half the stated amounts.
Teenagers: Use as directed for adults.
The following oils should NOT be used in Aromatherapy: